Re: Launch of GNU GPLv3

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:10:25 +0200 (CEST) Santiago Vila wrote:

[...]
> Before anybody submits a bug report against base-files: Is there an
> official statement from Debian about the DFSG-free status of GPLv3?

Before seeing the actual *final* text, it is hard (or, to be more
precise, impossible) to tell whether a license meets the DFSG, let alone
having an "official statement from Debian" on the matter...

As far as debian-legal is concerned, I think the final text will be
probably discussed shortly after its release.
But debian-legal subscribers cannot issue "official statements" on
behalf of the Debian Project.

> I would like to put it in common-licenses as soon as it is useful to
> do so, but policy says:
>
>    Packages distributed under the UCB BSD license, the Artistic
>    license, the GNU GPL, and the GNU LGPL, should refer to the
>    corresponding files under /usr/share/common-licenses,[82] rather
>    than quoting them in the copyright file.
>
> Am I right to think that policy refers to version 2 of the GPL, as
> such paragraph was written before GPLv3?

I don't know whether this needs a policy update, but, IMHO, GPL-2 should
obviously stay where it is (in /usr/share/common-licenses/), while a
GPL-3 should be put side by side (if, and only if, it will be considered
acceptable for main...).

There's a problem with the symlink GPL -> GPL-2, though.
By seeing the LGPL case, it seems that the unversioned symlink is
intended to point to the current version.  If this is the case, then the
symlink should be updated to point to GPL-3.
On the other hand, many packages distributed under the GNU GPL v2
currently refer to the unversioned symlink
(/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL) in their debian/copyright file.
Even the ones under GPL v2 *only*, as well as the ones under GPL v2
*or later*.  These references would suddenly become wrong and
misleading, if the symlink does not point to GPL-2 anymore...

Disclaimers: IANAL, IANADD.

P.S.: I am subscribed to debian-legal, but not to debian-policy.  No
need to Cc: me, as long as debian-legal is in the loop...

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?