Re: Bacula: GPL and OpenSSL

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 10:50:39AM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> > Kern believes that he must remove the explicit OpenSSL exemption from
> > the license in order to be fully GPL-compliant, and it appears that FSFE
> > agrees.
>
> I just read the contents of
>
>   /usr/share/doc/bacula-director-sqlite/copyright
>
> I have reproduced it below for debian-legal.  The Linking section,
> which is needed for linking with OpenSSL, is not a problem for
> GPL-compatibility.  The other parts may or may not be a problem, and
> indeed seem superfluous, but all that is needed is the Linking
> section.

But the problem is that parts of Bacula's code are copyrighted by third
parties, and licensed under plain GPL (or Kern's license before he added
this exception), and may be unreachable for obtaining permission to
relicense with this exception.  (Kern, have you tried contacting them?)

So the question really is: how can we have Bacula in Debian, with SSL
support, but without that clause?  And why does FSFE disagree with our
interpretation?

-- John