Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 07:55:18PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:30:36 +1000 Anthony Towns wrote:
> > And I mean, I know what a GR is for, why are you telling me? It's
> > still not a *good solution* for deciding these things; it's a last
> > resort, and the only other options we currently have a "ftpmaster
> > decides" and "it's obvious to pretty much everybody".
> I'm rather surprised to hear you saying that, since you seem to have
> been the proposer of GR-2006-001...

Sometimes you have to choose the best of a lot of bad options. When that
happens, it's often good to spend some time trying to get better options
for the future.

> [...]
> > The official position of Debian is what we allow in main.
> That is to say?  Bugs never happen?!?  Nothing can possibly enter main
> by mistake or overlook?!?

Of course it can -- official positions can be wrong, can be made by
mistake or without due care, and can be changed.

> [...]
> > Unfortunately, since "-legal in general" becomes an amorphous set of
> > individuals who reserve the right to hold whatever opinions they like
> > whenever questioned, there's little hope of -legal ever learning from
> > its mistakes.
> Are you going to call the orwellian thought police, since I hold my
> *own* opinions?!?

You don't need to call the thought police, you only have to think of
them and they'll know to come!

Cheers,
aj