Re: License concerns regarding package lft

Martin Millnert <martin@millnert.se> wrote: [...]
> 7.  no permission is granted to distribute, publicly display, or publicly
> perform modifications to the Distribution made using proprietary materials
> that cannot be released in source format under conditions of this license;
[...]
> Section 7 seems suspicious.

Is this saying (amongst other things) that someone cannot use any
incompatibly-licensed compiler to produce binaries of it?  After all, that
compiler would be materials that cannot be released in source format under
conditions of this licence.

If so, how does that not break DFSG 9 by contaminating other software?

In practical terms, we are compiling lft with gcc
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=lft&ver=2.0-1&arch=ia64&stamp=1045692069&file=log
and gcc is under the GPL
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
which cannot be released in source format under MainNerve Public License.
Why are the lft binary packages distributable?

There is a slightly different licence at http://pwhois.org/license.who
but this part has not changed.

Hope that helps,
--