Re: Programs made by teenagers

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> I might package a game created by a teenager, so I wanted to make sure that
> the fact thas she's minor wouldn't be a problem. I don't know if she has
> right to license what she does, or it must be her parents, or something like
> that. Any thoughts on this? Is there any difference in her being over or
> under 16?

It really depends on the jurisdiction; it'd be best if she had her
parents permission to license her work the way she has just to avoid
any complications, but it may not be necessary everywhere.

I personally don't think it's necessary to see an e-mail from here
parents or anything formal like that; just an acknowledgement from her
that she has told them what she's doing, and that they don't object is
probably sufficient.

What we're protecting ourselves from here is cases where the parents
have decided that the minor is not of the majority and did not
understand what she was doing and decides to sue Debian or our users
because the license was invalid. Since we're just as vulernable to
cases where the copyright holder is untruthfully specified, I don't
think it's necessary to go overboard with proof.

Don Armstrong

--
The beauty of the DRUNKENNESS subprogram was that you could move your
intoxication level up and down at will, instead of being caught on a