Re: EPSG data reviewing in progress

On Mon, 14 May 2007 17:18:22 +0200 Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 10:14:35AM +0000, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > Hi Maintainer,
> >
> > i dont think the EPSG tables license is free, so the dataset cant go
> > into Debian main. Its a "dont modify, non-commercial only" license
> > and a simple conversion into a different format doesnt change the
> > license of the dataset used.
> >

> Thanks to Frank Warmerdam and OSGEO, EPSG folks is now available
> to revise the licensing terms of their data. A preview of a new
> license is currently available on
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/RevisedEPSGLicense
>
> and a discussion about the terms of the license in order to have
> those data if possible embedded in a program for main is viable.
>

> CONTEXT: EPSG data are geodetic parameters, largerly used for GIS
> apps.
[...]

For future reference, I'm quoting the preview of the new license below.

EPSG dataset

Terms of use, revised 22/03/2007 (proposed - not adopted!)

The EPSG geodetic parameter dataset is owned jointly and severally by
the members of the Surveying and Positioning Committee of the
International Association of Oil and Gas Producers (OGP), formerly
the European Petroleum Survey Group (EPSG). It is compiled by the
Geodetic Subcommittee of the OGP from publicly available and
member-supplied information and distributed at no charge through the
internet.

The user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and the use of
this data. The data may be used, copied and distributed subject to
the following conditions:

 1. INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT
    WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT
    NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 2. The data may be included in any commercial package provided that
    any commerciality is based on value added by the provider and not
    on a value ascribed to the EPSG dataset which is made available
    at no charge. The ownership of the EPSG dataset [OGP] must be
    acknowledged.
 3. Subsets of information may be extracted from the dataset. Users
    are advised that coordinate reference system and coordinate
    transformation descriptions are incomplete unless all elements
    detailed as essential in OGP Surveying and Positioning Guidance
    Note 7-1 annex F are included.
 4. Essental elements should preferably be reproduced as described in
    the dataset. Modification of parameter values is permitted as
    described in OGP Surveying and Positioning Guidance Note 7-1
    annex G to allow change to the content of the information
    provided that numeric equivalence is achieved. Numeric
    equivalence refers to the results of geodetic calculations in
    which the parameters are used, for example (i) conversion of
    ellipsoid defining parameters, or (ii) conversion of parameters
    between one and two standard parallel projection methods, or
    (iii) conversion of parameters between 7-parameter geocentric
    transformation methods
 5. No data that has been modified other than as permitted in these
    terms and conditions shall be attributed to the EPSG dataset.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?