Re: backporting and dual-licensing

Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> Say a person X writes a library libfoo. He licenses the library out
> under both the GPL and a commercial licence.

I think you mean "and a proprietary license".

> A person Y uses libfoo under the GPL. He goes and does a lot of
> improvements in the library since it is under the GPL. Now the modified
> version of libfoo is copyrighted by both X and Y.

Assuming Y's improvements involved sufficient creativity to make them
copyrightable, yes.  In the absence of strong evidence to the contrary,
you should assume they do.

> So X would not be able to import such improvements into the main
> distribution of libfoo since then he would not be able to dual-licence
> it - specifically he would not be able to licence it commercially, not
> owning it entirely. He must either take Y into his business or obtain a
> waiver from Y by one-time payment or whatever.

Again, you mean "proprietary", not "commercial".  X already has Y's
permission to sell the software commercially, as long as X does so under
the GPL.  X just may not apply a proprietary license to the software
without permission from Y.

> My question is: What would be considered a big enough
> difference/modification that X would need Y's permission for backporting
> the changes?

Anything sufficiently creative for copyright to exist in it.  You assume
above that Y does hold copyright in the modified version, and if that holds
true, X would need Y's permission.

For the specific cases you gave, I agree with Andrew Donnellan's assessments.

- Josh Triplett