Re: [RFC]: firmware-ipw2200, acceptable for non-free?

On 3/10/07, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
That is my point: if they want to forbid some possible modifications
(just because those modifications would break some law) by retaining
source code and/or by license restrictions, they have a non-free goal!

The only reasonable justification I can think of is "we would be
considered responsible if you made those modifications", but that
justification would mean that the law is ill-conceived and should be
changed ASAP, as I stated.

Yes, I think they probably do have a non-free goal in keeping the
source code; however while there are legit uses for source I think
they would assume a lot of people would do illegal modifications.

Anyway this isn't sufficient justification - petition Intel like crazy
and maybe they will release the source :) People can modify their Wifi
equipment to go over the legal limits pretty easily anyway...

--
Andrew Donnellan
ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom (primary)    ajdlinuxATexemailDOTcomDOTau (secure)