Re: [RFC]: firmware-ipw2200, acceptable for non-free?

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 20:13:28 +1000 Kel Modderman wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!  :)

> I am looking for discussion about a possibly controversially licensed
> package  in development, firmware-ipw2200.
>
> License: Intel license
>
> http://bughost.org/firmware/LICENSE.ipw2200-fw

>From a veeeeery quick reading, I didn't spot any showstopper for
distribution through the non-free archive (apart from the weird
restrictions that you yourself noted, which however seem to be
satisfiable by Debian), but I would feel safer if other debian-legal
regulars provided their opinion...

However, the license does not meet the DFSG (it's not even close to
meeting them...): has Intel been contacted and asked to provide the
firmware (with source code) in a DFSG-free manner (for instance, under
the terms of the GNU GPL v2, or of the Expat/MIT license)?  Intel has
recently had some press coverage about their Free Software drivers for
integrated graphics chips: I appreciated that move, maybe they are
willing to get some more good publicity by freeing this firmware...

[...]
> Can the package qualify for inclusion in non-free?

As I stated above, yes (maybe).

> Please CC: me with replies.

Done.
But please, avoid doing the same with me: I'm subscribed to
debian-legal, so replying to the list is enough.  Thanks.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/progs/scripts/refresh-pubring.html
 Need to refresh your keyring in a piecewise fashion?