Re: [RFC]: firmware-ipw2200, acceptable for non-free?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 08:13:28PM +1000, Kel Modderman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for discussion about a possibly controversially licensed package
> in development, firmware-ipw2200.
>
> License: Intel license
>
> http://bughost.org/firmware/LICENSE.ipw2200-fw

Last time I looked at this license, when I was the ipw2200 package maintainer,
it would not allow inclusing in non-free.

>    3. The package must install the LICENSE file in the same location on the
> system that the firmware files are installed. If it is standard practice in
> your distribution to place all license files in a centralized location (for
> example /usr/share/license), then you are free to place a copy of the license
> in that location, in addition to placing it in the directory containing the
> firmware files.

This is sooooooo stupid. How about the same terms used by another firmware ?
That leads to several packages needing to install the same file, since
the directory containing the firmware files is the same.

Mike