Re: PEAR / PHP License status [QuickForm v3]

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:40:02AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler <beuc@beuc.net>
> > What is the status of the discussion with PEAR (or PHP Group) about
> > using the PHP license in some of the PEAR packages? [1][2]
> > [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/08/msg00188.html
> > [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/12/msg00025.html
>
> Use of the PHP licence for non-PHP-Group code is still a fast
> REJECT http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html
>
> Searching previous DLPLs http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/
> for php suggests that these views of Release Manager
> Steve Langasek http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/02/msg00059.html
> and contributor
> Francisco Poli http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/04/msg00117.html
> might add more information.

Thanks.

Was the PHP or the PEAR Group eventually approached about this?

(Note that I'm more concerned about having PEAR packages released
under a GNU GPL-compatible license, than fixing the PHP License
itself.)

(You mention 'non-PHP-group' code. Did you mean 'non-PHP'? Since
QuickForm, for example, is (C) PHP Group, would it be a valid
candidate for inclusion in 'main' otherwise?)

> > I'm currently in need of QuickForm (v3) in a GNU GPL'd application,
> > but QuickForm is released under the PHP license, which is incompatible
> > :/
>
> Please request a more useful licence in a bug report to them.

I think it would be nice indeed to suggest a move from the PHP license
to the mBSD license for PEAR packages copyrighted by the 'PHP Group',
in a first step. I don't think I'll restrict to QuickForm because
there're a couple other interesting PEAR packages in the same
situation.

Do you know of a way to contact them, besides group@php.net?

I guess I'll contact these fellows myself by e-mail unless you have
another suggestion.

--
Sylvain