Re: PHP license...

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:00:51 +0200 Pierre Habouzit wrote:

> Hi, I'm packaging a PHP C extension, that was licensed under the LGPL,
> but is now under the PHP license.
>
> it was unofficial, but is now listed on PECL[1] and the lead
> developper  has an @php.net address, and is member of the PHP Group.
> That makes the  product a product of the PHP Group.

Probably.

> I've read the thread about PHP license 3.01 in february, and had the
> impression that the consensus was that that license is acceptable for
> things that come from the PHP Group. is that still the case, can I
> upload the new version ?

As you may have read in the thread you're referring to (I don't know
which of them, as there are quite several), I don't agree.
I believe that PHP license version 3.01 does not comply
with the DFSG, even when applied to PHP itself or to PHP Group software.
The problematic clause is #4.

Moreover, when the license is applied to anything else (that is to say,
software not provided by the PHP Group), a bunch of additional issues
appear.

Unfortunately, it seems that really few people here are able to see what
I perceive as a clear non-freeness.
Moreover the result of the discussions seems to be that several bugs
were *closed*, while the license is still unfixed...  :-(((

Please, see

and the rest of the corresponding threads, for more details.

In particular, my analysis of the PHP License version 3.01 can be found
here:

I would like to explicitly (re)stress that this analysis is my opinion
only and didn't gain wide consensus on debian-legal.
Nonetheless, I didn't get a satisfactory rebuttal.
Consequently, I believe this issue is still open and undecided.

I would really *love* seeing this issue solved once and for all, since I
think that PHP is a really important piece of software and should be
made DFSG-free for the benefit of the community.

[...]
> Please Cc: me on debian-legal, I'm not subscribed.

Done.

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4