Re: Software patents and Debian

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>
> The DFSG is concerned with the rights that the copyright holder extends
> to us, and by extension, people using software in Debian.  This does
> not, and can not, cover local patent laws.

TTBOMK, the DFSG does not refer to the copyright holder directly, nor
copyright, nor patents, nor trademarks.  It is concerned with rights and
freedoms over software, no matter what laws restrict them.

Today, our approach to copyright law is probably the most refined,
followed by trademarks, then patents, but that's probably a consequence
of what is most often used to restrict the rights and freedoms of others.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef