Re: Creative Commons 3.0 Public draft -- news and questions

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 23:05:56 +0200 Francesco Poli wrote:

> This is the CCv3draft0808060 anti-DRM clause, as quoted by Evan:
>
> |   You may not impose any technological measures on the Work that
> |   restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to
> |   exercise the rights granted to them under the License.

While analyzing the license draft, I noted something strange.
The anti-DRM clause quoted by Evan is, substantially, the one found in
clause 4(a):

|     You may not impose any technological measures on the Work that
|     restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to
|     exercise their rights granted under the License.

There's another one in clause 4(b), which is very similar, but not
equal:

|     You may not impose any effective technological measures on the
|     Adaptation that restrict the ability of a recipient of the
|     Adaptation from You to exercise their rights granted under the
|     License.

Please note the adjective "effective"!

Questions:

 A) Why are these two clauses different from one another?

 B) Is the difference relevant with respect to DFSG compliance?

 C) Does specifying that only *effective* technological measures are
forbidden imply that parallel distribution (of DRM-encumbered and
DRM-*un*encumbered copies) is allowed for Adaptations?

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_