Re: BCFG Public License

Scripsit Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:
>> Scripsit Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk>

>>> Please quote the section of the license that states that.

>> # LICENSEE AGREES THAT THE EXPORT OF GOODS AND/OR TECHNICAL DATA FROM
>> # THE UNITED STATES MAY REQUIRE SOME FORM OF EXPORT CONTROL LICENSE FROM
>> # THE U.S. GOVERNMENT AND THAT FAILURE TO OBTAIN SUCH EXPORT CONTROL
>> # LICENSE MAY RESULT IN CRIMINAL LIABILITY UNDER U.S. LAWS.

> In this sense, "AGREES" is synonymous with "ACKNOWLEDGES". If you read
> it like that, are you happier?

What does it even mean then? Which legal consequences does it have for
me to "acknowledge" that law? Why would the licensor want me to do so
- he must have _some_ purpose in requiring such an "acknowledgement",
which indicates that a laywerbomb must be present somewhere. I would
be wary of using the software, because it is completely opaque what
the catch is.

At least I know what opinions I have. If "Licensee agrees" does not
mean that I in fact agree, then I don't know how to tell whether I
have "acknowledged" the law in a proper manner that allows me to use
the license, or what it would mean for me to do so.

--
Henning Makholm                        "Detta, sade de, vore rena sanningen;
                                 ty de kunde tala sanning lika väl som någon