Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 12:24:20PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> PS: Is it true that Ubuntu things about supplying a 3 year offer for
> source under 3b so derivates of ubuntu can go sourcelss?

A nice idea, to be sure, but it doesn't seem particularly helpful, unless
the derivative isn't modifying anything GPL-covered (possible, I suppose,
but unlikely), since the moment you modify something you don't have a
written offer from someone for that source code, and can't use 3c any more.

More likely, Ubuntu is going to let people who use the Soyuz (I think that's
the one) part of Launchpad to define their own custom distros provide the
source alongside the binaries, thus letting everyone go the 3a route (as
long as you sign your sanity away by agreeing to use Launchpad for
ever more).

- Matt