Re: Geant4 Software License, version 1.0

Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
> * MJ Ray:
> > of clauses 4 (automatic donation to upstream),
> [...] You retain your exploitation rights, you only
> grant upstream a free license.  This is just a form of copyleft, only
> that the source license is granted to upstream, not the party that
> receives the code.

Why does copyleft mean giving non-licensees a free licence?  I thought
copyleft meant future licensing needed to be under similar free terms.

Why is free licensing of source to non-licensees not donation?

> > maybe 5 (discrimination against fields of use) below.
>
> Debian should not protect the freedom to file software patents.  If
> the DFSG required this, we would have to change them.

I think you are misreading the clause.  It is not limited to software
patents.
--
MJR/slef