Re: Copyright grants for fonts?

Henri Sivonen wrote:
On Jun 27, 2006, at 19:14, Robinson Tryon wrote:

Does anyone know where I could find the explicit license from
Adobe/Digital for these fonts?

IANAL, but:
I believe that as far as bitmaps go, Adobe believes it has no
case against the 1988 U.S. Copyright Office opinion[1] that held
that images of glyphs are not copyrightable.
Adobe made it a policy that the bitmaps can be distributed free
of charge.[2]
[1] http://ssifonts.com/myths2.HTM
[2] http://store.adobe.com/type/topics/licenseqa.html#q5

Thanks for the information!

The link you gave is to an FAQ on Adobe's site that states "Bitmap
fonts have been and will continue to be free of charge in low
resolutions."  IANAL, but I am skeptical that a single, short sentence
in an FAQ is sufficient licensing for this font package to meet DFSG.
For one, the term "low resolution" is not qualified by any metric.

-- Robinson Tryon