Re: Debian Open Use Logo License - is it compatible with...

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 10:49:58 +0100 MJ Ray wrote:

> Joe Smith <unknown_kev_cat@hotmail.com>
> > AIUI, the logos are considered trademarks. The "licence" strongly
> > implies  that Debian does not claim copyright on
> > the open use logo, but merely trademark rights. [...]
>
> I disagree.  Copyright (c) 1999 Software in the Public Interest is
> an unambiguous claim.

Of course the open use logo *is* copyrighted.

> The copyright permission is broad, though.

Mmmmh... according to http://www.debian.org/logos/ , the Debian Open Use
Logo License is still:

| Copyright (c) 1999 Software in the Public Interest
| This logo or a modified version may be used by anyone to refer to the
| Debian project, but does not indicate endorsement by the project.
|
| Note: we would appreciate that you make the image a link to
| http://www.debian.org/ if you use it on a web page.

This copyright license does *not* comply with DFGS#6 and does not
explicitly give permission to distribute (maybe it can be regarded as
implicitly granted, but I'm not so sure).

I wouldn't call this "broad"...

[...]
> > [[ What ever happened to resolving this issue?
>
> I can't remember and I was still in the pub when SPI's AGM happened
> (sometimes fixed meeting times suck).

As far as debian-legal is concerned, what follows is a news summary
about the Debian logo Freeness issue.
Corrections and additional information are welcome!

Back in February 2005, the DPL (Martin Michlmayr, at the time) said
the issue was worked on. The artist who designed the logo was
going to assign his copyright to SPI, so that SPI could easily
change the copyright license.
No clear method of attack was chosen for the trademark side of the
issue.
Matthew Garrett was asked to work on an appropriate trademark license.
For further details, see the following thread:

Back in July 2005, very little progress was made: see
and the short thread that followed.

On January 2006, Nathanael Nerode stated that debian-legal had already
specified what we wanted for a trademark policy (where? I failed to find
the thread: can someone point me to the right URL or Message-Id?), and
that we were waiting for "incomprehensible institutional delays".
See
and the few replies.

I cannot find any more recent news about this topic.

I think that the issue should really be solved ASAP.

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4