Re: infos about alien licenses

This one time, at band camp, Frank Küster said:
> Wolfgang Lonien <wolfgang@lonien.de> wrote:
>
> > Stephen Gran wrote:
> >>
> >> The word 'should' has a fairly straight forward meaning in the English
> >> language.  This does not present a problem, as far as I can see.  It is
> >> substantively no different from the standard:
> >>
> >> Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> >> permitted by applicable law.
> >>
> >> It is a disclaimer telling you they take no responsibility if you use it
> >> in a situation that endagers human life or property.  No problem.
> >
> > Sounds good to me.
>
> Except that the reasoning is wrong, as Matthew Palmer pointed out.
> That's similar, but probably even more strict than the german legal
> "soll": "soll ist muss wenn kann".

I don't believe this is correct.  Sollen and should are often used in
translations of each other, but (not being very good at German, I may
be wrong) I have always felt that solen was closer to the old English
shalt than to the modern should.  Shalt (and the more modern but not
often used shall) was definitely an imperative, as in 'Thou shalt have
no other Gods', whereas should is a request, as in the RFC definition:

3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

4. SHOULD NOT   This phrase, or the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED" mean that
   there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the
   particular behavior is acceptable or even useful, but the full
   implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed
   before implementing any behavior described with this label.

This states the meaning better than I can.  It means that they prefer
you don't violate this, but you are free to violate it if you wish,
although it isn't recommended.  This is substantively equivalent to
other 'no warranty' disclaimers.

Take care,