Re: infos about alien licenses

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 02:35:28PM +0200, Wolfgang Lonien wrote:
> |   |-- DCOracle2-cvs.tar.gz                    -               +(ask)
> |   |-- TwistedSNMP-0.3.13.tar.gz               -               +(ask)
> |   `-- sybase-0.36.tar.gz                      -               +(ask)
>
> The "DCOracle2/LICENSE.txt reads:
>
> "Copyright (c) 2000, Digital Creations, Fredericksburg, VA, USA.
> All rights reserved.
>
>   Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>   modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
>   met:
>
>     o Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>       notice, this list of conditions, and the disclaimer that follows.
>
>     o Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>       notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer in
>       the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
>       distribution.
>
>     o Neither the name of Digital Creations nor the names of its
>       contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
>       from this software without specific prior written permission.

MIT-like.  No problems.

> The TwistedSNMP-0.3.13/license.txt reads:
>
> "TwistedSNMP, SNMP Protocol for the Twisted Networking Framework
>         Copyright (c) 2003-2005, Michael C. Fletcher, Patrick K. O'Brien
>         All rights reserved.
>
> THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT FAULT TOLERANT AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IN ANY
> SITUATION ENDANGERING HUMAN LIFE OR PROPERTY.

This is possibly problematic, depending on how you define "should".  I'd
take it as just being a restatement of the whole "no warranty, if it breaks
you get to keep both pieces" thing, but it could be read as forbidding use
in the mentioned areas.

> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> are met:
>
>     Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>
>     Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
>     copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
>     disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
>     provided with the distribution.
>
>     The name of the authors may not be used to endorse or
>     promote products derived from this software without specific
>     prior written permission.

Again, MIT-like.  All good, with the possible exception of the "No danger"
clause, which I think is harmless.

> while the sybase-0.36/LICENCE reads:
>
> "Copyright (C) 2002, Object Craft P/L, Melbourne, Australia.
> All rights reserved.
>
> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> are met:
>
>     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
>       this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>
>     * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> notice,
>       this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> documentation
>       and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>
>     * Neither the name of Object Craft nor the names of its contributors
> may be
>       used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
>       specific prior written permission.

MIT-like.  All good.

As an aside, I've got packages of python-sybase floating around here
somewhere.  I never uploaded them to Debian because I have no interest in
maintaining them long-term, I just whipped them up for a client one day.  I
can send them to you if you'd like (and possibly sponsor them into Debian if
you want to maintain it yourself).

- matt