Re: infos about alien licenses

Hi Matt (& list),

Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 02:35:28PM +0200, Wolfgang Lonien wrote:
>
>>|   |-- DCOracle2-cvs.tar.gz                    -               +(ask)
>>|   |-- TwistedSNMP-0.3.13.tar.gz               -               +(ask)
>>|   `-- sybase-0.36.tar.gz                      -               +(ask)
>>
>>The "DCOracle2/LICENSE.txt reads:
>>[...]
> MIT-like.  No problems.

Fine :-)

>>The TwistedSNMP-0.3.13/license.txt reads:
>>THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT FAULT TOLERANT AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IN ANY
>>SITUATION ENDANGERING HUMAN LIFE OR PROPERTY.
> This is possibly problematic, depending on how you define "should".  I'd
> take it as just being a restatement of the whole "no warranty, if it breaks
> you get to keep both pieces" thing,

Yeah. Interestingly (as a side-note), I have read something like this
before. It's in the Windows License concerning the use of Sun's Java. I
think it means something like: "If you use this to steer an airplane and
that crashes, don't blame us - we warned you". Not very reassuring IMHO.

> but it could be read as forbidding use
> in the mentioned areas.

... which would be against the policy, right? Hmmm. I wonder if that
still could be packaged, and where to - contrib? non-free? The latter, I
suppose?

>>[the rest of the license]
> Again, MIT-like.  All good, with the possible exception of the "No danger"
> clause, which I think is harmless.

Ok...

>>while the sybase-0.36/LICENCE reads:
>>[...]
> MIT-like.  All good.

Fine.

> As an aside, I've got packages of python-sybase floating around here
> somewhere.  I never uploaded them to Debian because I have no interest in
> maintaining them long-term, I just whipped them up for a client one day.  I
> can send them to you if you'd like (and possibly sponsor them into Debian if
> you want to maintain it yourself).

That would be cool. Thanks for your kind offer.
cheers,
wjl aka Wolfgang Lonien
Key ID 0x728D9BD0         public key available at wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
Key fingerprint = A923 2294 B7ED EB3E 2F18  AE56 AAB8 D36A 728D 9BD0
we prefer encrypted text-only emails
all systems here proudly run Debian GNU/Linux