Re: MPL and Source Code

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 01:51:05PM +1000, Craig Southeren wrote:
> This means theoretically that the lifetime of a source release under the
> GPL is the same as a binary release. Once the binary is no longer
> distributed, then the source no longer has to be distributed either.
> As a user, the seems more than a little unreasonable, but if that's what
> the license says......

If you think you might want the source later, then download it when you
download the binary.

> The MPL requirement for 12 months seems quite reasonable, and I can't
> see that any packager (Debian included) would have a problem with
> meeting it.

Perhaps not philosophically, but practially we really can't do it.  First
up, it'd take a non-trivial amount of modification to the archive scripts.
Next, archiving every release for some
period of time would almost certainly chew a whole hell of a lot more disk
space, and I don't think we could differentiate between MPL and non-MPL
easily enough to only archive the MPL stuff.  I'm up in the air about
whether the MPL would require every mirror operator to carry all previous
releases, or if they could be somewhere off-to-the-side
(mpl-compliance.debian.org, anyone?) -- if all mirror operators need to
carry all previous versions, then that's an even bigger problem.

- Matt