Re: MPL and Source Code

To all,

  OK - I've just gone through and re-re-re-read the posts, and I think I
now see the point everyone is making:

1) The GPL provide three alternate and equivalent delivery mechanisms
for binary distributions. Only one of them (physical delivery of media
as defines in 3b) has a time limit associated with it. The others do not.

2) The MPL has two delivery mechanisms; same media as received, or
electronic delivery. If the latter is used, then it must be available
for 12 months after the date it initially become available.

This means theoretically that the lifetime of a source release under the
GPL is the same as a binary release. Once the binary is no longer
distributed, then the source no longer has to be distributed either.
As a user, the seems more than a little unreasonable, but if that's what
the license says......

The MPL requirement for 12 months seems quite reasonable, and I can't
see that any packager (Debian included) would have a problem with
meeting it.

Thanks to everyone for my ongoing education.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment ? VoIP Consulting and Software
 craigs@postincrement.com.au                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren@hotmail.com
 Mobile: +61 417231046

 "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
  Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting