Re: MPL and Source Code

Craig Southeren <craigs@postincrement.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 15:22:31 -0400
> Anthony DeRobertis <anthony@derobert.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 08:54:53PM +1000, Craig Southeren wrote:
>>
>> > A problem would only occur if there was a Debian release that contained
>> > source code that is is not in the SVN archive. Does this ever occur?
>>
>> Security updates and NMU's come to mind.
>
> I'm not sure what an NMU is,

A Non-maintainer upload by some other Debian developer

> but why are these not put into the SVN
> archive?

Mostly because that other Debian developer doesn't necessarily have
write access to the maintainer's SVN archive.

> Because if it is Debian policy to distribute binaries where the source
> code is not guaranteed to be publically available, then yes, I think
> that could be a problem regardless of whether the license is MPL or GPL.

We always distribute the source code; but we don't *archive* the source
code after there's been a new upload with new source code.  That's no
problem with the GPL, but it appears to be with the MPL.

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)