Re: Acknowledgment clause in GPL code?

Olive <olive001@tele2allin.be> writes:

> > Thus, if a work is received by the Debian project under "GPL plus
> > extra terms", then, if those extra terms place additional
> > restrictions beyond the GPL, Debian cannot satisfy both those
> > terms and the terms of the GPL section 6; and thus, under section
> > 7, may not redistribute the work at all.
>
> You do not have addressed my points. Why does Debian can not satisfy
> GPL + extra terms? The GPL + extra terms is the conditions that Debian
> must satisfy. The GPL forbids _Debian_ to put additional restrictions;
> it does not says that Debian cannot distribute a GPL + additional
> restriction software if these extra conditions has been put by the
> copyright holder; since it is not Debian who have put these additional
> restrictions (and the copyright holder cannot violate the GPL).

If the Debian project distributes the work and specifies license terms
to the receiver, it doesn't matter who *wrote* those terms; it is the
Debian project imposing the restrictions, by dint of distributing the
software under those terms.

--
 \        "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make |
  `\     you something else is the greatest accomplishment."  -- Ralph |