Re: Acknowledgment clause in GPL code?

I've read many thread about GPL + additional restriction and really I don not understand the arguments for more posters. I understand it is a very bad way to license a software but anyway. I do not understand most of the arguments.

There is the objection that this is contradictory: it may be true; but even if so; jurisdiction does not reject a contradictory license as a whole; just the contradictory points can be rejected/interpreted, so as long as the additional requirements doesn't make the software non free I do not understand why this may cause the software not redistribuable.

There is also the objection about forbiding additional requirement in the GPL; but Debian (or the redistributor) doen't put additional requirement to the GPL (and in fact it does not put any requirement at all); it is the copyright holder who do so; and he is not bound by the GPL. So I do not see how Debian would violate the license simply by redistributing the software.

Of course GPL + additional requirement is GPL incompatible. The only real problem I see in licensing a software under GPL + additional requirement is the improper use of the trademark "GPL" (is GPL a trademark?); for a software which is not GPL. Maybe Debian could put a notice to warn the user that the software isn't GPL to avoid confusion.

Olive