Re: GFDL v2 draft 1 analysis [long]

Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
> mjr@phonecoop.coop wrote:
> >> Come on. This "everything is a cost" meme is becoming silly.
> >> The DFSG was not written with this meaning.

I didn't write that, fraudster.

> >Come on!  Stop beating your straw men!  Nor were they written with the
> >intention to prevent only money demands that hit everyone every time!
> Really? Can you show some examples of the DFSG being interpreted your
> way before you and the other DFSG-revisionists joined debian-legal?

I'm no DFSG-revisionist and that accusation is silly from someone who
once claimed that the DFSG are not guidelines, and that applying them to
firmware is 'hypocrisy'.  Throwing stones from the glasshouse.

As far as I can tell, I've been here since May 2003 at least.  Other types
of cost besides direct pay-to-distribute money were mentioned during
the FDL 1.2 analysis in 2002.  As I'm sure others remember, I disagreed
with much of the FDL analysis initially, but was convinced by it later.
However, DFSG-revisionists helped reject some of it in 2006/vote_001

After I joined the discussion in 2003, I questioned the pickle and
pet-a-cat examples a bit more.

Around the same dates, LPPL discussions mention that doing lots of
processing would be an "unreasonably expensive" cost.  In 2001, clickwrap
was considered an unreasonable cost by some.  The 1999 discussions of
the Artistic License seem to include time as a cost.

Also in 1999, when debian-legal hadn't been going long, I found:

   We've interpreted this to exclude any kind of postcardware, adware,
   or restrictions on use.  "If you use this software, you must pet
   a cat" fails the DFSG on this point.  "If you sell this software,
   send a copy to the author" fails the DFSG on this point.  [...]

Richard Braakman http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/1999/08/msg00018.html

So, interpreting non-monetary costs as failing DFSG 1 - as they should
be - predates me by *years*.

How about the next person to make an irrational claim without evidence
does some research themselves?

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef