Re: Open Font License 1.1review2 - comments?

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> > SIL OPEN FONT LICENSE Version 1.1-review2 - 15 November 2006
> [...]
> > 1) Neither the Font Software nor any of its individual components,
> > in Original or Modified Versions, may be sold by itself.
>
> This restriction does *not* fail the DFSG (because DFSG#1 only requires
> that software can be sold as a part of an aggregate, which is allowed by
> clause 2 below...), but is, well, moot.

I agree it's a stupid restriction.

> > 3) No Modified Version of the Font Software may use the Reserved Font
> > Name(s) unless [...]
> I believe that forbidding an unlimited and arbitrary list of Reserved
> Font Names goes beyond and is *not* DFSG-free.

I see what you mean, but if each RFN comes from one font, then all can
be forbidden while still following DFSG, thanks to the stack of
copyright licences required.  I think we just need to watch out for
people trying to exploit this rename clause to grab unlimited RFNs.

> [...]
> > 5) The Font Software, modified or unmodified, in part or in whole,
> > must be distributed entirely under this license, and may not be
> > distributed under any other license.
>
> Does this interfere with dual licensing?

I don't think so.  The copyright holder is not bound by OFL, so could
offer it under dual licences.  If those are public licences, we can pass
them both on.

> > The requirement for fonts to
> > remain under this license does not apply to any document created
> > using the Font Software.
> [...]
>
> As already pointed out by Andrew Donnellan, this is vague, as the word
> ``document'' is never defined and has no unambiguous meaning.

Indeed.

I'll report back to ofl-discuss shortly.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef