Re: firefox -> iceweasel package is probably not legal

Sean Kellogg <skellogg@u.washington.edu> writes:

> On Wednesday 06 December 2006 14:30, Michael Poole wrote:
> > Apparently law instead requires us to assume users are in fact
> > morons in a hurry.  What a sad state of affairs.
>
> Yes, that's exactly what the law requires.

IANAL. I will merely draw to your attention that, as far as I can
tell, the consistent usage of the phrase "a moron in a hurry" in
trademark history has been to describe the level of confusion which
trademarks should *not* protect.

    In the 1979 [English legal case of Morning Star Cooperative
    Society v Express Newspapers Limited], the publishers of the
    Morning Star, a British Communist party publication, sought an
    injunction to prevent Express Newspapers from launching their new
    tabloid, which was to be called the Daily Star. The court was
    unsympathetic, and stated that only "a moron in a hurry" could
    confuse the two publications.

    <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_moron_in_a_hurry>

All caveats about using Wikipedia as a reference for legal matters
notwithstanding, this does seem to be a fairly clear data point
against your assertion above.

--
 \     "You know what I hate? Indian givers... no, I take that back."  |
  `\                                                    -- Emo Philips |