Re: firefox -> iceweasel package is probably not legal

Joe Smith wrote:
> "Arnoud Engelfriet" <arnoud@engelfriet.net> wrote in message
> [🔎] 20061206152627.GA3592@stack.nl">news:[🔎] 20061206152627.GA3592@stack.nl...
> >What I don't understand is why a package for the Iceweasel software
> >would carry the name firefox. There's no such thing as a firefox.
>
> There is such thing as a firefox. In fact there are wo such things.

And here I thought it was just an arbitrary name. Anyway,
what I was trying to say is that the word "Firefox" is not
used in a manner similar to "steering wheel", it's not a
generic name for a *type* of thing. It's the name of a
*specific* thing of a certain type.

> I agree that they are not wanting to install "a firefox", because that
> would be absurd.
> How does one install a red panda?

Would it make a difference if Firefox had been the
nickname of a particular species of gerbil?

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself