Re: firefox -> iceweasel package is probably not legal

Sean Kellogg writes:

> When the consumer (a.k.a. debian user) goes to the console and decides s/he
> wishes to obtain firefox, from the fine folks at the Mozilla Foundation, they
> do what?  They run 'apt-get install firefox.'  When they do so they are not
> given Firefox from the Mozilla Foundation, they are given iceweasel, a Debian
> product based on the Firefox code base.  While a fine product in its own
> right, the Mozilla people do not consider it to be Firefox.

Unless the user has specifically changed system configuration files,
"apt-get install" on a Debian system only installs software from
Debian.  It does not install software from the Mozilla Foundation.

A trademark holder's rights do not extend to prohibiting anyone else
from claiming compatibility or similarity to their product.  Given the
simple and obvious type of redirection that happens with a transition
package, I think this is the proper basis of analysis.  Transition
packages are not "disclaimers" of any sort; they are hints to a person
or tools acting on that person's behalf.

Michael Poole