Re: What does "most recent GPL" mean?

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:

> Hello,
> I found a strange permission notice in a program, referring to the GPL,
> and I'm not sure about its meaning.
>
> The program claims to be licensed as follows:
>

> | License:
> | Most recent version of the GPL.
> |

> I've never seen anything like this.  I saw "GPL v2 or later", "GPL
> v2 only", "GPL" (which automatically means "any version"[1]), even
> "GPL v1 or later", but I've never seen "GPL latest version"...

All of those need to be qualified by *whose* GPL; that's why the
recommendation for licensing a work under the GPL is "[...] GNU
General Public License, as published by the Free Software Foundation
[...]".

Otherwise, it would be difficult post hoc to declaim the "EvilCorp
General Public License version 2" as a permitted license.

--
 \       "You know I could rent you out as a decoy for duck hunters?"  |
  `\                                                   -- Groucho Marx |