Re: NetBeans ITP [was Re: CDDL]

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Please note that we don't accept software in Debian just because it is
> useful, but also because it is free.
Understood.

> That said, I agree with some of the arguments given about the
> choice-of-venue clause. It is a bad clause, but I don't think it makes a
> piece of software non-free. There is no consensus about it on
> debian-legal.
The ideal outcome of this thread would be that the interpretation of
the choice-of-venue clause would permit packages (such as NetBeans)
to be accepted in Debian.

> About Netbeans, I don't understand how it would be distributable if
> running over a GPL JVM, as the CDDL and the GPL are incompatible.
The interim solution is depending on the DLJ JVM ("non-free") which
would mean that during that period NetBeans, also, would need to
be in "non-free".

Once the the full JVM is available under GPL then running applications
on top of it *are* compatible with any license as this was the specific
rationale for adding the Classpath exception [1].

Thanks,

--Tom

[1] http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp#g6