Re: rocks-n-diamonds

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:32:39 +0100 Amaya wrote:

> Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:
> > Are there any contradictory evidences for including this package
> > into Debian in the way offered by me?
>
> I don't think so, many games in Debian are in the same situation and
> need to ship the non-free data separately.
>
> > is it possible to include the package into Debian?
>
> Fine with me. I mean: Wonderful, I love that game! :)

Wait, wait!

The key question here is: does the DFSG-free part *require* the non-free
part for compilation or use?
In other words: does the DFSG-free game provide *no* significant
functionality *without* the non-free data installed?
If the answer is yes (that is: the DFSG-free game is useless without the
non-free data), then it can be included into the contrib archive, at
best (*not* into Debian main).
The non-free data could be distributed in non-free, to the extent they
are legally redistributable by Debian.  Otherwise, they must be
downloadable via script from a server that has actually permission to
(re)distribute them.

If instead there are enough DFSG-free data to make the game playable
even without the non-free data, then the game can go in main, along with
the DFSG-free data, and can Suggest: the non-free data package (which
will anyway go in non-free or be downloadable via script).

See Debian Policy 2.2.1, 2.2.2, and 2.2.3, for further details.

Disclaimers: IANADD, IANAL.

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_