Re: main or contrib?

Marco d'Itri writes:

> mdpoole@troilus.org wrote:
>
>>Various programs in main behave markedly different in the absence of
>>certain proprietary network server software -- IM client programs come
>>to mind.  Do those bits need to be removed from main?
> I remember that this was settled on debian-policy@ long ago
> (debian-legal@ did not exist yet...).

As far as I can tell, [1] is the only thread that predates -legal and
touches on this issue.  As far as it comes to a conclusion, it is that
bits that depend on non-main packages must go into contrib or
non-free.  This is consistent with the much more recent work to move
firmware-loading kernel drivers out of main.  Are IM client programs
exempt from this, or should bugs be filed with appropriate severity?

[1]- http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/1998/06/msg00023.html

Michael Poole