Re: public domain, take ∞

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:01:51 +1000, Andrew Donnellan wrote:

> On 9/26/06, luna@bzh.net <luna@bzh.net> wrote:
>> On Le Monday 25 September 2006, à 16:21:24, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>> > What about:
>> >
>> > The author(s) of this script expressly place it into the public domain.
>>
>> As yet said on this list, this notion of (and the words) public domain
>> is not common to all countries and more where it exists it can be
>> impossible to place something voluntarily in the public domain.
>>
>> A work *fall*[^1] in the public domain, it is not *placed*.
>>
>> [^1]: excuse my poor english, but the french expression is "tomber dans
>> le domaine public"
>
> The standard replacement for this problem is something along the lines
> of: "The author(s) of this script expressly place it in the public
> domain. In jurisdictions where this is not legally possible, the
> author(s) place no restrictions on this script's usage."

I have seen license files that say things like that, but usually they
don't easily address the ambiguity recently mentioned here regarding UK
law. Furthermore, there should be a simpler method equally accessible to
those who are located in jurisdictions where it's legally possible and
those who are located in jurisdictions where it's not. I was hoping to be
able to sidestep such complexities with the wording I proposed.