Re: Review of a pseudo licence statement

On 9/9/06, Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@sukria.net> wrote:
[Please CC me, I'm not subscribed]

Hi,

I intent to package[1] the Perl module libnet-amazon-s3-perl (because
it's needed by the package backup-manager).

1: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=368734

The problem is that the copyright notice I can find in the upstream
sources does not refer to a real licence. It sounds to me that it's free
software, but I'd like to have your point of view before I upload the
package.

Here it is:

#  This software code is made available "AS IS" without warranties of any
#  kind.  You may copy, display, modify and redistribute the software
#  code either by itself or as incorporated into your code; provided that
#  you do not remove any proprietary notices.  Your use of this software
#  code is at your own risk and you waive any claim against Amazon
#  Digital Services, Inc. or its affiliates with respect to your use of
#  this software code. (c) 2006 Amazon Digital Services, Inc. or its
#  affiliates.

It seems to be DFSG free, a very liberal license saying 'do whatever
you want, just don't remove credit or sue us if it breaks.'

Note that there is no COPYING file in the upstream tarball, nor any
licencing paragraph in the README, the only copyright notice is the one
above, included in the Perl source code.

If that's all there is then I assume that would be the license.

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrewdonnellan.com