Re: Hypocrisy of Debian (was: Sorry, no more RC bugs for non-free data in main ...)

Markus Laire writes:
>On 8/31/06, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>> In the end, those same maintainers
>> have given up on that as a lost cause and instead have started work on
>> a free cdrtools fork that will ship in etch instead of cdrtools.
>Do you have any link/source to support the claim that this will be
>fixed for etch?
>I havn't found any such information. Is there a public
>source-code-repository for this fork?

The maintainers (particularly Eduard Bloch) have been working hard on
this for the last couple of weeks, and we're hoping the result should
hit unstable in the next week.

>(I know that forking was mentioned at [1] but I havn't seen anything
>more substantial)
>[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=377109
>> Please don't start throwing around insulting terms like "hypocrisy" -
>> they're not going to gain you any friends, nor are they going to
>> encourage people to devote their valuable time to Free Software
>> projects.
>If my comments about "hypocrisy" are true, then I don't care about
>"friends" whom I might lost because of speaking the truth. Then it
>would also be appropriate for people to be discouraged from devoting
>their valuable time to "hypocritical" Free Software projects.
>If I was wrong, then I can only apologize and try to be more carefull
>in the future.

Then I'd suggest you do *exactly* that. Speaking for myself, I can
definitely say that being publically abused *while in the middle of
fixing these issues* does bad things for motivation. What have *you*
done to help, apart from claiming we're hypocritical?

"I suspect most samba developers are already technically insane... Of
 course, since many of them are Australians, you can't tell." -- Linus Torvalds