Re: licence for Truecrypt

--- MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> No matter who is correct, I think it is unhelpful to
> imply that others are not dealing in reality,
> especially on matters of opinion.

I think it is equally unhelpful to post personal
remarks, such as: "The license shows many signs of
being written by someone with just enough knowledge to
be legally dangerous."

> this licence seems uncontroversially non-free due
> to forbidding private use.

You are wrong. Read the section 3.a. It permits you to
not release source code of your work derived from
Truecrypt, provided that you don't distribute the
derived work (that's 'private use').

So the TrueCrypt License obviously is free and nobody
has presented any facts that would prove the contrary.

> The GPL does not cover use, while Truecrypt's
> licence does.

You are wrong. GPL covers the use as well. For
instance:

Section 8: "8. If the distribution and/or use of the
Program is restricted..."

Section 12: "ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO
USE THE PROGRAM"