Re: shc -- #335278 broken packaging -- non-DD NMU prepared

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 12:58:59AM +0200, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> [ Cc-ing the bug report, so we have it in the bts, too ]
>
> Hi!
>
> - Now the real problem: shc.c
>
> Lookit at it we have:
>
> /**
>  * This software contains the 'Alleged RC4' source code.
>  * The original source code was published on the Net by a group of cypherpunks.
>  * I picked up a modified version from the news.
>  * The copyright notice does not apply to that code.
>  */

As far as I remember, the general belief is that 'Alleged RC4' was in
fact leaked intentionnaly by RSA inc. itself (which designed RC4).  So
much for the group of cypherpunks.

> /**
>  * 'Alleged RC4' Source Code picked up from the news."
>  * From: allen@gateway.grumman.com (John L. Allen)"
>  * Newsgroups: comp.lang.c"
>  * Subject: Shrink this C code for fame and fun"
>  * Date: 21 May 1996 10:49:37 -0400"
>  */

I think it should be easy to replace that code by a DFSG-free
implementation of RC4. Openssl include one.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.