Re: Open CASCADE Technology Public License

Scripsit Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>

> The license is available on http://www.opencascade.org/occ/license/
> but I have copied it below so that people can make comments directly
> on it.

It looks like an attempt to reinvent the GPL. The wording is a bit
sloppy at places, but I didn't find anything in the license itself I
would call nonfree.

> The introduction of the license states that that modifications shall
> be sent back (which makes it non-DFSG compliant), however there is
> nothing like that in the license itself. I will ask the company for
> clarifications on that part,

Agreed.

>  From my point of view the only problem is the trademarks, but we can
> actually call it with an other name, it is often called occ.

The trademark clause is actually nice, and could be used as a model of
how to do that kind of things Right:

> 10. Trademark
>
> This License does not grant any rights to use the trademarks, trade
> names and domain names "MATRA", "EADS Matra Datavision", "CAS.CADE",
> "Open CASCADE", "opencascade.com" and "opencascade.org" or any other
> trademarks, trade names or domain names used or owned by the Initial
> Developer.

It just says "beware that this is not a trademark license", and as
such it is a legal no-op - a license that did not say this explicitly
would not be a trademark license either.

The problematic kind of trademark clauses is the one that says "you
lose your _copyright_ license if you use our trademark in ways we're
not happy with".

--
Henning Makholm             "Jeg forstår mig på at anvende sådanne midler på
                           folks legemer, at jeg kan varme eller afkøle dem,