Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:23:07AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT>
> > In linux.debian.legal MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > >The package maintainer did not ask debian-legal (serious bug) and I'm
> > They do not need to.
>
> No, there's no absolute *need* to do that, or to follow any of the other
> directions in debian policy,

Please don't confuse things.

The guideline to ask debian-legal is not enforced by policy, but
suggested by the Developer's Reference.

The latter document is a collection of good practices, not a list of
things that must be done. The former document is a list of requirements
that each and every package must comply to.

Failing to follow a requirement set out in policy can result in a
serious bug being filed against your package. Failing to follow a
guideline from the developer's reference can, at worst, result in people
being annoyed by your attitude.

--
Fun will now commence