Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 08:25, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > and it would seem that for any case where the effects are much wider
> > > than just Debian, it can reasonably be argued that the problems are,
> > > not under our control, which would free us from the burden of having to
> > > idemnify Sun.
> >
> > How does it do that?  In general, upstreams are not allowed
> > to change directly what is released as Debian.  Ultimately,
> > it's debian developers that decide what modifications are made
> > to the Operating System and are controlled (heh!) and directed
> > by the various project agreements and processes, so I don't
> > see how those modifications are excluded.
>
> If it occurs everywhere, it could reasonably be argued that either the
> JDK is buggy, or not tested well enough.
>
> Alternatively, I don't think it's hard for a judge to understand that
> there is this piece of software which we indeed do distribute, but which
> is used by many other people as well, and they all exhibit the same
> flaw; so even if we allowed the bug to slip in, it's not really our
> fault.

A reasonable rule of thumb is that if your argument doesn't
convince your colleagues then it doesn't stand any hope in
court.

The judge is going to rule on the license.  Nothing else.

Now, without legally meaningless FAQs or imaginary judges,
please explain why the license is not a problem.

--Mike Bird