Re: Hi, regarding debian trademark

Hmmm. Good point. I guess if I eventually expanded the software being sold it may cause confusion. Thanks for your point of view.

Gene

On 5/30/06, Brian M. Carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> wrote:
[I am subscribed, so no need to CC me.  I have CC'd you because of your
Reply-To header.]

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 02:51:16PM -0700, Gene Rhim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was referred to you by Martin regarding the debian trademark. I am looking

I'm sorry, you'll have to be more specific.  We have a lot of people
named "Martin".

> to sell debian online and donate a portion of the earnings to
> debian.orgthrough one of the non-profits associated with it. I need to
> know if there
> is any trademark restrictions that would prevent me from using a website
> domain name which has "debian" in it. Please advise on this. Thanks,

I honestly don't know, and other people here may or may not.  You may
have to ask SPI[0] at www.spi-inc.org.

My (totally unauthoritative) guess is that no, this would not work.
Anyway, you might choose to sell official Debian CDs as well as CDs of
other distributions or unofficial CDs.  If you used "debian" in your
domain name and sold, say, Fedora CDs, people might become confused.

Therefore, it might be better if you chose a unique and vibrant name for
your CD selling business, such as "CD Extravaganza" (or perhaps
something else).  I don't know where you are located, but tax-exemptions
(for donations) may or may not apply in your area.

Finally, please note that most of what debian-legal does is evaluate
software licenses for compliance with the Debian Free Software
Guidelines.  Few, if any, of us are lawyers (solicitors, barristers) and
none of us here are dispensing legal advice.

[0] Software in the Public Interest, Inc., a New York not-for-profit
corporation.  Debian itself is not a legal entity; SPI is is the
umbrella corporation which holds all of Debian's property.

--
($_,$a)=split/\t/,join'',map{unpack'u',$_}<DATA>;eval$a;print;__DATA__
M961H<F$@8FAM;"!U<F%O<G-U(#QU<F%O<G-U0&=D:75M<&UC8VUL=G)U;6LN