Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 11:29:05AM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 10:50 +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > Again this logic doesn't seem to work for me. If I was offering warez
> > on my server I couldn't become legal again by just removing it. My
> > prior action would still get me sued, doesn't it? And no, just saying
> > I thought it was okay, doesn't help me either.
>
> I don't think the parallel with warez is sound. Allow me to reword to

Okay, agreed on this one.

> better match the situation at hand.
>
> You are told by a programmer that you are allowed to offer their
> software on your server. They reaffirm that you can, even in person. You
> offer it on your server. The programmer changes his mind and commands
> you to remove it, which you subsequently do.

But this doesn't seem to be sound either. Let me try one more time:

You are told by a programmer that you are allowed to offer their
software on your server, but the programmer also tells you that his
statement is legally not binding and the license says you are not
allowed to offer it. Then you offer it on your server and some of your
customers has a huge problem with that software and wants to sue someone
to cover their losses. Now the company that developed the software says
you were never allowed to offer it and with their own version your
customer wouldn't have got into trouble.

See I'm talking about a legal problem that isn't solvable by just
removing software.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes