Re: License of wget.texi: suggest removal of invariant sections

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:
> > On Thu, 18 May 2006, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> >> If the point you're making is that someone might want to remove the
> >> GPL text from the manual, for example to make it shorter, I guess
> >> that's a valid concern.
> >
> > Yes, that's the issue.
>
> I see. But that's still quite different than the issue you describe
> below, which is about the GPL no longer applying to Wget (as opposed
> to the issue of the GPL text making the manual too long).

I mean that the issue is the same (inability to remove the GPL from
the manual), even though there are different reasons why you may want
to do that.

> >> Including the text of the GPL in Wget's manual serves the purpose
> >> of explaining Wget's copying terms to the user. As such, it seems
> >> pertinent regardless of whether Wget is actually distributed along
> >> with the manual.
> >
> > To reiterate what you said above, our problem is that the GPL
> > can't be removed at all,[1] even when it's no longer applicable,
> > not that it's being included by wget.texi in the first place.
>
> What I don't understand is how the GPL can be "no longer
> applicable", given that it's not possible to change Wget's license.

If I just distribute wget.texi (and gfdl.texi and gpl.texi) by
themselves, the GPL no longer applies because there is nothing there
which is GPLed. [The GPL and GFDL are inherently incompatible, so the
manual can't be both GPLed and GFDLed, so it has to be licensed under
one or the other.]

Don Armstrong

--
                    EQUAL RIGHTS FOR WOMEN
Don't be teased or humiliated. See their look of surprise when you