Re: GPLed libraries dfsg compatible?

Hi,

Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Moritz Lenz said:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to debianize EiffelStudio, a compiler and IDE for the programming
>> language eiffel. It is dual-licenced under a commercial licence and
>> under GPL.
>> Included in EiffelStudio is the so called "Base Library", released under
>> the GPL as well. This library is absolutely nesseary for programming
>> with eiffel, you are not able to write any program that does not use the
>> "Base Library".
>> With this licencing model you are forced to release your programs
>> written in EiffelStudio (GPL version) under the GPL as well.
>>
>> Can we regard this software as dfsg compatible?
>
> Absolutely.  It is a viral license, but that is the point, and Debian
> considers the GPL to be free.

I know that GPL is free in dfsg-terms, I was just unsure because in this
case it limits your control over the results of your work (A new program
can hardly be considered as "derived work" from a library it barely
uses, can it?).

But if there are no doubts in this case I'm glad ;)

Best regards,
Moritz

--
Moritz Lenz