Would cxxtools need an exception for libssl too?

I've an ITP, #366834, on a library called cxxtools (which already
created a bit of controversy on -devel).  The reason I'm packaging
cxxtools is because tntnet (ITP #361010) uses it.

Both are licensed under GPLv2 or later.

Tntnet links to libssl, which is GPL-incompatible.  Upstream already
added an exception to tntnet to allow linking to libssl, but would
cxxtools need one also?  Both have the same upstream.

Would this scenario imply libssl+cxxtools to be a derived work?