Re: MPEG-4 patent license issues - libfaad* and libx264* and other codecs.

This one time, at band camp, Måns Rullgård said:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> >>
> >> I have already stated this: Debian shouldn't have anything to do
> >> with regard to patents. We should entirely ignore them unless
> >> directly threatened, and such issues that depend so much on the
> >> country should be up to the end-user to deal with.
> >
> > Like it or not, we can't completely ignore them in Debian. Each mirror
> > operator needs to make their own decisions about their liability in
> > their own country, but Debian itself needs to be careful about
> > distributing works which have patents in the United States[1] where
> > the patent holders are well known and have been inolved in patent
> > litigation against individuals using their patents.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it use, not distribution, that
> requires a patent license?

As I understand it, yes, with the caveat that patents laws are not
uniform, of course.  But given that this is the general case, it seems
like a non-issue as far as Debian is concerned.  We have historically
ignored them for exactly this reason.